Thursday, December 1, 2011

My Review: Angels of the Deep by Kirby Crow

Angels of the Deep by Kirby Crow


Publication Date: 2009
Publislher: MLR Press
Print length: 311 pages
Genre: Paranormal/Horror

Blurb: Becket Merriday is on the trail of a killer who is murdering beautiful young men in the small town of Irenic. What he discovers an ancient race of immortal beings hunted by an incredibly powerful adversary: the angel Mastema. Soon, Beck and his partner, Sean Logan, find themselves at the center of a deadly supernatural war.





My rating: 6/5 



Characters: 6
World building: 6
Plot: 6
Writing: 6
Premise: 6
Intensity: 6

Heat Level: 3
Sexuality: M/M
Warnings: Contains rape, references to pedophilia



My thoughts: 

I really want to be able to write a coherent review for this one, however I am struggling greatly with that as I can’t seem to get past my “WOW” response. It’s been a long while since a book has tripped all my triggers like this one did.

I’ve always had a strong draw to stories of angels and demons, however finding ones that are well written isn’t easy to do. Throw Nephilim into the mix and it rarely goes well. Frankly, Kirby Crow has given me one of the best dark fantasies I think I’ve ever read.


Angels of the Deep is by no means an easy read. It’s filled with dark, even gruesome things. It blurs the line of what is good and what is evil, it’s filled with layers behind every character, every situation. It has a complexity that makes you work for the beauty behind the darkness of it all.


The writing was powerful. The imagery, incredible. The characters were amazing. The story so rich in fantasy, theology, faith, love, hate, good, evil, all amazingly woven together; so full of twists and turns, so dark and engrossing I found it almost impossible to put down. At every turn I simply HAD to see what was going to happen next. To make any further review, I would have to re-read it to completely absorb all that this book holds, if I ever could.


Bottom line: I will most definitely be re-reading this one, I will most definitely be reading all the Kirby Crow books I can get my hands on. This book makes me want to redo my entire review/rating system, because I don't have enough stars. If 5 stars stands for “it’s amazing”… I give Angels of the Deep 6 for… beyond amazing.


Highly, HIGHLY recommended. 

2 comments:

Kirby Crow said...

I'm so pleased you liked it! :) Thank you!

Amara Devonte said...

Loved it. love Love LOVED. :D

Post a Comment